Job Title: Instructional Assistant
Department: YIT School
Reports To: Assistant Director of Education
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Instructional Assistant works directly under the supervision of the classroom teacher to help implement the instructional program. The duties and responsibilities of the Instructional Assistant include carrying out teacher-planned activities with students, assisting with classroom and outdoor supervision and clerical work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with individual students and small groups of students in teacher planned instructional activities.
- Collect and record instructional and behavioral data as requested by the teacher.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining the classroom management program and handling routine discipline.
- Monitor students in time-out and the lunchroom
- Supervise students moving throughout the building in between classes and transition times.
- Arrive to work on time (7:45am to 3:45pm)
- Report to assigned classroom and await student arrival. While waiting for student arrival, assist in daily classroom preparation (make copies!, prepare point sheets, etc.).
- Assist the classroom teacher with daily lessons, scores, checks, and record grades. All staff should be actively engaged in lessons.
- Alerts teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- After all students have left for the school day, all staff will meet i n their assigned classroom to discuss the events of the day.
- Perform any other duties necessary as requested by teacher/administration to enhance the environment of our school.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED and current Para-Professional Certification.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral , diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Para-Professional certificate.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students and school environment and community.
- Maintain a safe work environment for students and other staff.
- Maintains professional demeanor including language, behavior and attire.
- Exhibits dependability arriving to work on time, keeping to schedule, and following proper procedure for work absences.
This position wi ll require the incumbent to walk, stand, sit, reach, lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted and up to 50 lbs with assistance. Agility and quick reflexes are needed in the event of aggressive behaviors exhibited by the clients served.
Primarily inside a school building, classroom setting. No exposure to weather elements, noxious fumes or extreme temperature changes. Moderate noise level s as would be found inside a classroom or school hallway.
Interested applicants should submit resumes and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.