Job Title: Social Worker
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To work with the students, their families and teachers to solve problems relating to student achievement and mental health.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides emergency assessments of students.
• Therapist, within the scope of professional license, to provide individual, family, and group, using a variety of therapeutic modalities.
• Serve as a professional resource for school staff, who may seek his counsel on coping with a student’s behavior.
• A school social worker should feel comfortable working with people from all ethnic and economic backgrounds.
• Complete admission service needs assessments that include participation by child/youth, parents/guardians in the identification of strengths, service needs, and discharge plan.
• Participate in the development of Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) goals and objectives for students in need of counseling as a related service, serving as an advocate for the students.
• Evaluate the child’s/youth’s/family’s progress towards goal attainment on a designated basis in line with individual treatment and discharge plan goals
• Adheres to laws and procedures involving child abuse/neglect.
• Develops effective intervention strategies for students based on knowledge and understanding of student’s behavior and learning styles.
• Consult with classroom teachers to help better understand and work with particular students or manage particular classes and students.
• Provide effective case management to assigned cases that includes but is not limited to liaison with internal and external sources, including the student’s family
• Work with the student, parent, guardian or any other appropriate party to resolve issues related to the student’s absence.
• Complete required documentation and reports within the defined time lines
• Ability to effectively express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
• Able to assess strengths and level of functioning of children and families and determine necessary service needs and treatment strategies using sound, objective decision making
• Able to engage children and families in a positive therapeutic alliance
• Able to work cooperatively with others in a treatment team.
• Assist as need with any other duties within the scope of practice of the Social Worker.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Masters Degree in Social Work from an accredited college or university.
- Current LGSW Maryland State License – LCSW-C preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in providing direct social work services to children/youth and families.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: MSW or LSGW at a minimum
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have exceptional interpersonal skills as he/she must interact with a wide variety of personalities every day.
- Must be flexible, as the day will never be predictable.
- Must possess good public speaking skills, as they may sometimes be called upon to conduct staff training sessions.
- Computer proficiency is required.
- Must have excellent time-management and organizational skills to effectively perform all duties.
- Selects appropriate channels for resolving concerns and problems, and maintains confidentiality.
Behaves in an ethical manner; demonstrates understanding of own professional limitations; continues professional development by keeping abreast of current trends; keeps appointments and follow up with commitments; adheres to establish regulations, policies, rules and laws; and commend respect by example in appearance, manners, behavior and language.
Light Duty; mostly sedentary, some walking, occasional lifting up to 25 lbs.
A mix of office environment, school and home settings. Some exposure to weather during travel to and from locations. Moderate noise (examples: business office witl1 computers and printers, light traffic)
Interested applicants should submit resumes and salary requirements to email@example.com.