This week, NCIA had two residential homes where COVID-19 outbreaks occurred. It is CRITICIAL that employees in all NCIA programs continue to follow our emergency operations plan to prevent such outbreaks.
These plans and protocols are put into place for the safety of staff and individuals and REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR STAFF WORKING IN ANY NCIA LOCATION (OUTBREAK OR NOT)
- WEAR AN NCIA-PROVIDED FACEMASK OR FACE COVERING AT ALL TIMES. STAFF ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR THE MASK FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION OF THE SHIFT.
- Throw out disposable gloves after using them. Reuse your face shield, medical mask after disinfecting each time. Contact your Division Manager if you are in need of additional PPE.
- When removing personal protective equipment: first remove and dispose of gloves. Then, immediately clean your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Next, remove face shield then gown and immediately clean your hands again with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Clean all “high-touch” surfaces, such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, and bedside tables, every day. Also, clean any surfaces that may have blood, stool, or body fluids on them.
- Use provided peroxide cleaning solution on any reusable PPE equipment (facemasks, shields) and store them as instructed. Gowns [required use in outbreak homes] after disinfecting should be hung on door hangers OUTSIDE the infected person’s bedroom. Face shields and masks/respirators should be stored in marked bag for that staff person after they are cleaned and not in use. No one else should ever use another staff person’s PPE (even if it has been disinfected).
- Immediately remove and wash clothes or bedding that have blood, stool, or body fluids on them. Wash laundry thoroughly.
- Wear disposable gloves while handling soiled items and keep soiled items away from your body. Clean your hands (with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer) immediately after removing your gloves.
- If an N95/respirator is not available or indicated, it is recommended that you wear a cloth mask covered by a surgical mask. The surgical mask can be cleaned with peroxide and the cloth mask can be washed each day with the “soiled clothes” worn during an employee’s shift.
- Read and follow directions on labels of laundry or clothing items and detergent. In general, using a normal laundry detergent according to washing machine instructions and dry thoroughly using the warmest temperatures recommended on the clothing label.
- Place all used disposable gloves, facemasks, and other contaminated items in a specified container that is separate from another household waste.
- Clean your hands (with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer) immediately after handling these items. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.
NCIA’S COMPLETE COVID-19 QUARANTINE/OUTBREAK POLICY SUPPLEMENT IS ATTACHED TO THIS EMAIL. PLEASE REVIEW AND CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THESE POLICIES.
If any staff member is NOT complying to these policies and procedures, they should be reported to their supervisor or the compliance hotline at (443) 780-1319.